The Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO) will host our Annual Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference, Exploring the Intersection of Art, Advocacy, and Academia, on September 9, 2023, at the AFL-CIO Headquarters in Washington, DC.
The conference will focus on three themes: Art, Advocacy, and Academia, and will feature a diverse group of experts who will discuss the latest developments and research in asbestos awareness and prevention. As always, we will bring together experts, community members, politicians, and more to discuss how to rid our country and the world of this deadly carcinogen.
We proudly feature Earl Dotter’s exhibition, “Eight Badges: A Memorial Tribute to Asbestos Workers.” This exhibition showcases powerful photographs and stories of asbestos workers. Dotter is an award-winning photojournalist who has created seven posters for ADAO in the past. We are grateful for his unwavering dedication to occupational safety and commitment to asbestos advocacy through art. We believe that art and education are two of the most significant ways to spread awareness and understanding, and we are honored to showcase and discuss Earl’s work at this conference.
Attendees will have the opportunity to learn about new advances in asbestos research and treatment and the latest advocacy efforts to ban asbestos and protect public health. The event will also feature presentations from renowned physicians and experts in the field, including:
- Dr. Raja Flores, Chief of Thoracic Surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Dr. Arthur Frank, Professor of Public Health at Drexel University
- Dr. Richard Lemen, former Assistant Surgeon General of the United States
- Earl Dotter, award-winning photojournalist
Our conference will be divided into five sessions:
- Progress and Challenges from the Frontline
- Medical Advancements in Diagnosing and Treating Mesothelioma and Other Asbestos-Related Diseases
- Prevention of Legacy Asbestos and provides guidance on its identification and management
- Global Ban Asbestos Action
- ADAO Awards and Recognition Ceremony Presentations (pre-recorded and streamed globally)
- Victims & Students $100
- Certificate of Attendance for those attending online $25
- Professionals $300
- * Scholarships available
This educational conference is for anyone passionate about asbestos awareness and prevention and those affected by asbestos-related diseases. By attending, you will gain valuable insights into the latest research, treatments, and advocacy efforts and the opportunity to network with influential leaders in the field. Join us and make a difference in the fight against asbestos-related diseases.
Limited discounted rooms at the Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport ($129.00 plus tax) are available for registered attendees.
Our work is made possible by our generous 2023 sponsors and donors. Thanks to our 2023 Platinum Sponsor; Simmons Hanly Conroy, Gold Sponsors; The Gori Law Firm and Motley Rice LLP, and Silver Sponsor; Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney & Meisenkothen. Stay tuned for more information about our speaker lineup, dates, and registration!
Mark your calendar for this important event. We will update our community with more details as we finalize them. We look forward to seeing you there!